Friday, August 15, 2014

What is Blurred Lines really about?

Many people are probably familiar with a song titled Blurred Lines by Robin Thicke. It was the #1 song in the United States for 12 weeks, from June 12 to September 4, 2013. It was also a very popular song in several other countries. Both the song and the accompanying music video -- which came in two versions -- attracted plenty of criticism for their sexual content.
However, I think there is something else at play here. I think Blurred Lines has a hidden meaning.
I think it's about a guy who wants to have sex with a dinosaur, and tries enticing the dinosaur to have sex with him. This is very obvious, and I have no idea why no one noticed it before. 
I have written my own analysis of the song's lyrics. After each line, I explained what I think it means. Here it is:

Everybody get up!

(Pharrell, the dinosaur trainer, orders everybody to get up and start moving)

Everybody get up!

Hey, hey, hey

Hey, hey, hey

Hey, hey, hey

(Thicke expresses his excitement at the situation by repeatedly saying “Hey”.)

If you can’t hear what I’m trying to say

If you can’t read from the same page

Maybe I’m going deaf

Maybe I’m going blind

Maybe I’m out of my mind

(Thicke cannot believe that the dinosaur might not want to have sex with him, so he speculates that there must be something wrong with either his sense of hearing, his sense of vision, or his cognitive capacities.)

Okay, now, he was close

Tried to domesticate you

(The dinosaur’s last owner tried to domesticate it and force it to live like a human, instead of letting it live the way it was naturally intended to.)

But you’re an animal,

Baby it’s in your nature

(In this partially speciesist statement, Thicke says that he will allow the dinosaur to behave as it was naturally intended to due to the fact that it is an “animal”, which Thicke apparently thinks he is not.)

Just let me liberate you

(Thicke offers to free the dinosaur from captivity)

You don’t need no papers

(The dinosaur doesn’t need zoo documents. It belongs in the wild.)

That man is not your maker

(Referring to the dinosaur’s previous owner)


And that’s why I’m gonna take a good girl

(When humans talk to non-human animals, it is common for them to use the phrases “good boy” or “good girl”.)

I know you want it

I know you want it

I know you want it

(Thicke assumes that the dinosaur must want to have sex with him.)

You’re a good girl

(Thicke once again confirms that he considers the dinosaur to be a “good girl”).


Can’t let it get past me

You’re far from plastic

(Thicke emphasizes that the dinosaur is a living, flesh-and-blood organism, not an artificial mechanical device like a robot.)

Talk about getting blasted

(Referring to the dinosaur’s ability to use its long, whip-like tail as a weapon)


I hate these blurred lines

(Over the past several decades, the line between dinosaurs and birds has become increasingly blurred. Several fossil discoveries has shown that birds are, in fact, living dinosaurs. This frustrates Thicke, who wants to make sure that the creature he is interacting with is a genuine dinosaur, and not “just a bird”. Thicke is misinformed. In reality, it makes no difference whether the dinosaur is a bird or not; either way, it’s still a dinosaur. Saying that birds are not dinosaurs is just like saying that bats are not mammals.)

I know you want it

I know you want it

I know you want it

(Thicke once again assumes that the dinosaur must want to have sex with him)

But you’re a good girl

(He confirms, for the third time, that he thinks the dinosaur is a “good girl”).


The way you grab me,

(The dinosaur grabs Thicke’s shirt with its jaws)

Must wanna get nasty,

(Thicke assumes that the dinosaur must want to eat him)

Go ahead, get at me

(In an attempt to appease the dinosaur to make it accept his offer to have sex, Thicke invites the dinosaur to attack him. This reveals a darker side to Thicke’s personality, showing that, in addition to being sexually attracted to non-human animals, he also enjoys pain.)


What do they make dreams for,

When you got those jeans on,

(Thicke indulges in anthropomorphism, and imagines that the dinosaur is wearing jeans.)

What do we need steam for?

(The dinosaur is so sexy that Thicke doesn’t need drugs to be happy.)

You’re the hottest bitch in this place!

(The word “bitch” means a female dog. It is a common trope in media to treat all animals as if they were dogs. Therefore, in the context of a popular song, perhaps the word could also be used to refer to a female dinosaur.)


I feel so lucky

(Thicke feels very fortunate that he has access to such a rare and beautiful animal)

You wanna hug me?

(Thicke displays his ignorance by asking the dinosaur to hug him. He has no idea that dinosaurs are not capable of hugging, since their hands are not capable of pronating.)

What rhymes with hug me? HEYYY!!!!

(We all know what this is referring to. A certain four-letter word that starts with the letter “F”. The euphoric expression on Thicke’s face when he says this only confirms our suspicions.)


Okay, now he was close

Tried to domesticate you

(After the first round failed, Thicke tries one more time to remind the dinosaur of how much nicer he is than its last owner)

But you’re an animal

Baby, it’s in your nature

(Thicke once again displays both ignorance and speciesism. Not only is he seemingly unaware that humans are animals, but he also says that he will allow the dinosaur to behave the way it wants to by virtue of the fact that it is an “animal”, which Thicke apparently thinks are inferior to humans, whom he doesn’t consider to be animals.)

Just let me liberate you

(Thicke offers to free the dinosaur from a life spent in captivity.)

You don’t need no papers

(The dinosaur doesn’t need any domestic animal documents.)

That man is not your maker

(Thicke once again refers to the dinosaur’s last owner)


And that’s why I’m gonna take a good girl

(Thicke continues to repeat this phrase over and over again)

I know you want it

I know you want it 

I know you want it

(Thicke assumes that the dinosaur wants to have sex with him)

You’re a good girl

(Thicke repeats it again)

Can’t let it get past me

You’re far from plastic

(Once again, Thicke confirms that the dinosaur is a living, biological creature, not a robot.)

Talk about getting blasted

(He reminds the dinosaur of its ability to injure enemies with its tail, perhaps in an attempt to flatter it.)


I hate these blurred lines

(For a second time, Thicke expresses his frustration with the fact that the line between birds and non-bird dinosaurs is becoming increasingly blurred)

I know you want it

I hate these lines

(Thicke’s frustration begins to catch up with him, and he inadvertently complains about how much he hates the blurred dino/bird line, while simultaneously assuming that the dinosaur wants to have sex with him.)

I know you want it

I hate these lines

(Thicke says this phrase for a second time.)

I know you want it

But you’re a good girl

(Thicke has said these same phrases over and over again so many times, that it is by now essentially second nature for him. He repeats them almost involuntarily, with mind-numbing repetitiveness).


The way you grab me

(The dinosaur grabs Thicke again)

Must wanna get nasty

(Thicke assumes the dinosaur wants to eat him)


You got it, Rob

(T.I. encourages Robin Thicke to persevere, and continue enticing the dinosaur).


One thing I ask of you,

Let me be the one you back that ass to

Go, from Malibu to Paris, boo

Yeah, I had a bitch, but she ain’t as bad as you

So hit me on up when you’re passing through

I’ll give you something big enough to tear your ass in two

Swag on even when you dress casual

I mean, it’s almost unbearable

In a hundred years not dare would I

Pull a Pharcyde, let you pass me by

Nothing like your last guy, he too square for you

He don’t smack your ass and pull your hair like that

So I keep watching, keep waiting,

For you to salute the true big pimping

Not many women can refuse this pimping

I’m a nice guy, but don’t get it confused, this pimping

(T.I. is hallucinating, and imagining that the dinosaur is a human)


Shake the vibe

Get down

Get up now

(Thicke encourages the dinosaur to dance with him)


Would you like it hurt?

Like it hurt?

(Thicke asks the dinosaur if it enjoys pain)

What, you don’t like work?

(Thicke asks the dinosaur if it enjoys working or not)


Baby, can you breathe?

I got this from Jamaica

(The asteroid that killed all of the non-bird dinosaurs struck in the Yucatan Peninsula, Mexico, which is close to Jamaica. Thicke claims that he was able to obtain asteroid dust from Jamaica. Thicke has realized that bribing won’t work, so he is now trying to use fear and intimidation to force the dinosaur to have sex with him. He attempts to frighten and unnerve the dinosaur by reminding it of the extinction that killed its relatives 66 million years ago.)

It always worked for me,

Dakota to Decatur

(When the asteroid struck the Earth, it left a cloud of dust in the air that encircled the entire globe, including North and South Dakota, as well as the area that would later become Decatur, Illinois. By saying “it always worked for me”, Thicke is implying that he was the cause of the extinction of the other dinosaurs. This is another attempt to coerce the dinosaur into having sex with him.)


No more pretending

‘Cause now you’re winning

(At last, Thicke finally concedes that the dinosaur has won the metaphorical battle by refuting his sexual advances. He will no longer pretend that he has a chance with the dinosaur.)

Here’s our beginning

(Robin Thicke and the dinosaur will both begin a new era in their lives. The dinosaur will no longer be trapped in captivity, and Thicke will no longer be a pervert who tries to have sex with non-human animals.)


I always wanted,

You’re a good girl

I know you want it

I know you want it

I know you want it

You’re a good girl

Can’t let it get past me

You’re far from plastic

Talk about getting blasted

(Although Thicke has decided to stop trying to have sex with non-human animals, a subconscious part of him still secretly craves to have sex with the dinosaur. So he repeats the same phrases that he has been repeating ad nauseum during the entire duration of the song.)


Everybody get up!

Woo!

Everybody get up!

(Pharrell repeats the same phrase that he said at the very beginning of the song, therefore indicating that Thicke’s personal battle with his zoophilia is far from over, and that it is destined to continue for some time.)


Hey, hey, hey

Hey, hey, hey

Hey, hey, hey

(Thicke’s subconscious is speaking here. Being sexually attracted to animals has virtually become second-nature to him, so he continues to express excitement at the sight of the dinosaur, even though he has now vowed that he will try to stop having sex with animals. His sexual desires end up getting the best of him, and Thicke loses the battle).


What are everyone's thoughts about my analysis? You are welcome to publish your thoughts in the comments!


No comments:

Post a Comment